PROGRESSIVE MUSCLE RELAXATION
This technique can help you relax the major muscle groups in your body. And, it's
easy to do.
1. Wear loose, comfortable clothing. Sit in a favorite chair or lie
2. Begin with your facial muscles. Frown hard for 5-10 seconds and then relax
all your muscles.
3. Work other facial muscles by scrunching your face up or knitting your
eyebrows for 5-10 seconds. Release. You should feel a noticeable difference between the tense and relaxed
4. Move on to your jaw. Then, move on to other muscle groups – shoulders, arms,
chest, legs, etc. – until you've tensed and relaxed individual muscle groups throughout your whole
This is the process of focusing on a single word or object to clear your mind. As a
result, you feel calm and refreshed.
1. Wear loose, comfortable clothing. Sit or lie in a relaxing
2. Close your eyes and concentrate on a calming thought, word or
3. You may find that other thoughts pop into your mind. Don't worry, this is
normal. Try not to dwell on them. Just keep focusing on your image or sound.
4. If you're having trouble, try repeating a word or sound over and over. (Some
people find it helpful to play soothing music while meditating.
5. Gradually, you'll begin to feel more and more relaxed.
This technique uses your imagination, a great resource when it comes to reducing
1. Sit or lie down in a comfortable position.
2. Imagine a pleasant, peaceful scene, such as a lush forest or a sandy beach.
Picture yourself in this setting.
3. Focus on the scene for a set amount of time (any amount of time you are
comfortable with), then gradually return to the present.